Over Thanksgiving Break I completed the drawings for Simon's Story. I broke a personal best record, completing the sixty-four drawings in roughly fourteen days. If all goes according to plan, the work will be displayed on the wall for easy viewing, but also as a book dummy.
I am happy with how the drawings turned out, despite my earlier reservations. At the start of the semester I had hoped that whatever images resulted from the project would be of a certain quality, polished and finished in Adobe Illustrator, as is my familiar modus operandi. It took me far from my comfort zone to retool my thinking toward taking the images to the level of finish seen below. But, like I said, I'm happy with the results.
It took me another few days to lay in the textual elements. After realizing that my original idea, to hand draw all of the type, wasn't in the cards, for various reasons, it took some digging through the internet to find an appropriate type-face. I landed on what you see below. I felt it matched, nicely, the rough and gritty personality of the drawings.
As I look back over the work, I'm excited about what I've learned. I started the semester with a goal of telling a story and I did that. It wasn't easy, but I did it. Along the way I learned about planning and development and especially about loosening up.
Additionally, this past weekend, I completed the final paper for the Theory & Crit class. Fifteen pages, three lenses, examining my own work. A little less pleasant than I had expected, but I learned a lot from the experience. And, I completed the final project for Digital Culture - a pile of laser-cut pieces in the shape of Jeb, the dog with hands from Simon's Story. I'll have these as give-aways at the critique and opening reception.
Without further ado, here are the sixty-four pages of Simon's Story.